Tuesday 28 October 2014

Mascaras I'm Throwing Out!


So if you know me you'd know that I am a mascara junkie... I'm always told that I own too many mascaras... little do they know I have a dedicated drawer full of unopened mascaras I've accumulated over time...

Anyway, aside from my obvious mascara obsession, I made the decision to clear out some old mascaras that have just been sitting in my drawer that have either dried up, are too old, or that I just didn't like. I decided it would be a good idea to do a mini review on each one and give my overall thoughts as to what I liked, what I didn't like and whether I would purchase any of these again or not.




Maybelline The Falsies Mascara

This is one of the mascaras that hasn't dried out or anything, but I just didn't like it. I have long thin lashes but this didn't add any volume whatsoever. The formula of this mascara leaves my eyelashes extremely stiff and adds no thickness. I have friends who swear by this mascara but I think it's better suited for naturally shorter lashes as on mine it just leaves a very thin coat and I like my lashes to be thick and long and lush (who doesn't?!). Verdict: would not repurchase.



Physicians Formula Organic Wear Natural Lash Boosting Mascara

This mascara is cool because it's all natural and has organic ingredients which is a great alternative to the chemical-filled mascaras that are out there (and it smells like oranges)! This mascara actually contains ingredients to promote lash growth, but I didn't use it long enough to be able to comment on that claim. Anyway, the reason I'm throwing it out is because firstly, it doesn't really do much for my lashes, and does even less than the Falsies, the formula is very very dry and doesn't really coat my lashes properly. Secondly, this mascara runs, it's definitely not long-wearing and if you experience smudging from mascaras (which I do) then definitely steer clear of this mascara. Unless you're really looking for something natural and that is your main concern then I don't recommend this mascara to anyone. Also, this is a pricey mascara... over $16 or something which is quite pricey for a drugstore mascara. Verdict: would not repurchase.



Maybelline Mega Plush Mascara

How fun is the colour of this mascara tube! Anyway, this was a mascara that I really enjoyed... when it was released it had a newer gel formula which appealed to me. I don't like wearing waterproof mascara even though I always experience smudging on the bottom outer corner of my eyes and I thought that this formula would smudge less -- that said, it still smudges but it gave me nice volume and length. When a friend compliments your eyelashes while you're wearing a new mascara, you know its a keeper ;) so the reason I'm tossing this one is that it's old and has clumped up in the tube but I've already purchased a new one to use. Verdict: have already repurchased.



Maybelline Colossal Volum' Mascara

My only brown mascara I've ever owned... I have naturally dark lashes so I tend to stick to the blackest of black mascaras but this one was on sale and I thought I could try this. The colour was fine and it did make my eyelashes look very nice but this formula has the worst smell! I don't know if its just the brown colour or if all the Colossal mascaras have this scent but it has a distinct scent that you would definitely recognize. The scent goes away once the mascara dries but I've just been hanging onto this mascara too long and the scent just makes me weary of whether it was still safe to put near my eyeballs or not. One thing that I should note about this mascara is that the formula leaves your eyelashes quite stiff which is something that I like to avoid and it didn't really curl my lashes. All that being said... I didn't hate this mascara, perhaps if I tried the blackest colour I could give it another chance. Verdict: maybe?



Covergirl Lashblast Volume Mascara

This mascara was one of the first mascaras I ever tried and this guy is such an oldie but a goodie. I have been hanging onto this tube for quite some time but I haven't worn this in years (since it's obviously old and dried out). I do know however that I love this mascara, gives great length and volume and is just a great mascara for any type of lashes you may have. Verdict: have already repurchased.



Covergirl Lashblast Clump Crusher

I will probably always repurchase this mascara. It is soooo great on its own or paired with another mascara and it's amazing when you coat your lashes with quite a few layers - it does not clump! This mascara curls my lashes as well and is just a fantastic mascara. The only think is that this colour wasn't in the blackest black but the new one I got is in the darkest colour. The thing about this mascara is that you need to make sure that you have a couple minutes to go in and do a few coats because it looks best when you have 2-3 coats on and you build up fluttery lashes. Verdict: have already repurchased and will always repurchase!
 


L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen Mascara

Last and not least, this L'Oreal mascara... I am such a huge fan of L'Oreal mascaras and this one was alright in my books. This gave me very nice volume and I was asked if I was wearing false lashes once while wearing this mascara! This tube is just an old tube... in regards to repurchasing this mascara, I don't think I would only because I have other volumizing mascaras in my stash that I want to try before going out and getting this one again. To be honest, this is another mascara that was one of those that I used for a while then set the tube aside for a LONG time without using it so I don't have a fresh opinion on it and I'm going off of what I recalled. This mascara does tend to clump if you're not careful so I would say grab it if it's on sale, but once again grab the darkest colour because I felt like this was a tiny bit grey. Verdict: would not repurchase.


So those are all the old mascaras that I'm throwing out, as I was writing this post there were a few other mascaras that I was thinking should also be tossed since I have backups or are just laying around somewhere and aren't being used... I have quite an extensive stash of unopened mascaras and I just need to start using them!

What are your favourite mascaras? Is there one that you absolutely would never repurchase again?

These items were purchased by me, with my own money. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment